If you’re an author and want to stay on top of the important issues in the world of publishing — issues that affect you — you need The Hot Sheet
With all the chatter out there, it will help you sort through the noise with stories that focus on relevant topics from across the publishing spectrum. From author success stories to key industry statistics, you’ll find what you need to know in The Hot Sheet
. Among the most important insights in this issue:
- If publishing profits are higher than ever and backlist books represent the majority of today’s sales, shouldn’t that be good news for the midlist author? Sadly, no. In our conversations with an agent, author, publicist, and marketer, we learned that midlist authors still have the same challenge as always: keeping their career afloat with limited support from their publisher. That’s become harder during the pandemic.
- We spoke with two library experts about why the book bans of 2021 and 2022 are different from book-banning efforts of years past.
- There’s a new way for US-based authors to fight copyright infringement: the Copyright Claims Board. It doesn’t require an attorney, but the approach has limitations.
Here's a look at the new edition's table of contents:
- Hot Shots
- IMHO: Book Bans, Libraries, and You: What’s Happening and What Can Be Done
- Trendspotting: The Challenges of the Midlist Author
- A New Process for US Authors to Fight Copyright Infringement
- Links of Interest
- Old Flames
- Closing Image
The Hot Sheet is delivered every 2 weeks via email.